Pages

March 28, 2016

WWII Letters from Jim | 5 August 1945

Jim was able to read through Margaret's letters at the local Red Cross Canteen in port. In the port is the USS Emporia (PF-28), two German ships that looked like destroyers and some snaggle tooth women (Margaret didn't have to fear).  He writes a lot about when he will be able to return home but is stating that most of it's speculation. He has at least one job possibility lined up in Los Angeles and a possible second one with his friend Bob in California. Jim doesn't want to pour out his "sweet romance" in letters (though he's done so in previous letters) because of a few reasons, but says his "feelings run too deep for that."


Post marked | 6 August, 1945 by the Navy

5 August,
A foreign port.

Sweetheart...
We got in this afternoon and as usual I haven't had time to breathe yet. Lots and lots of mail. Official and otherwise. I grabbed up my personal mail and took it ashore to the Red Cross Canteen and read the letters from  you. Sure was nice to get all 18 of them too. I was sort of ashamed of not writing more than I did on the last patrol, but even though I only mailed a few letters, they covered a lot of days. Honey, from all indications, we will be here until about the 21st of August and then we take another patrol which will run us the major part of September. After we finish that patrol, then it's no telling where we'll go. Maybe to Boston, maybe back in here. I talked to a fellow on the PF28 tonight and he said they wasn't scheduled to go back to the States until December. You can never play anything definite in the service, especially when you go to sea. We'll just have to wait and see. I'll be here long enough to get mail form you however as they fly it in here from the States and only takes about two or three days. Answer right back.
There are two German ships in here, tied up right aft of us. Look like Destroyers. I'll have to take a look at them tomorrow. There isn't a dam thing to do on this island but go to movies. At least we can see new ones though. There's a Navy base here and an Army fort. We always go to the Army fort. They have the Red Cross Canteen there for Yanks. There are no women to speak of here. A few snaggle toothed ones. All these fish heads have bad teeth. They lived on fish and potatoes for years before the Yanks came. Now they're living the life of Reilly[*]. Wait until we move out and leave them on the 6cents a day dole, that's what they lived on before the war. It's cold here. Wore my pea coat tonight when I went ashore. Quite a change from the patrol in hot waters. My sun tan looks funny and out of place.
Sweet, glad you had a nice time in Miami. I sure wish I could have been there too. We'll have just as nice a time in Boston when we get there. I bet Eliz was glad to see Melvin. He's some clown. Lots of fun. Maybe we can all get home around Xmas this year. If I dont get back then, I certainly will be home in the spring, and for good too. My 18 months on this ship will be up and I'm getting off.
Shrimp, you probably wont find the sweet romance in my letters that you might wish for. I'm not good at writing my feelings. My feelings run too deep for that, but as long as you have my last words in your mind fresh, you wont have to have it repeated each time. Then too, I dont care to have the censor reading my personal mail. What he doesn't know wont hurt him. I think I can make up for lost time when I see you, don't you? We'll see.
Wish I could tell you something definite so you could plan, but to be a sweetheart of a sailor, you have to learn that they are gone for long periods of time and letters are few and far between during those times. Also, life is real out here and has no fancy trimmings and served to you straight, no frills. You learn to take things that way and only deal with the substance and not the wrappings. I am pretty business like at all times at sea and when on duty. When I'm ashore, I'm just the opposite. I forget teh ship and the C.G. and take life easy and as I find it. By the way, had a letter form Bob Larma out in Californy way. He is with the new company and doing fine. Something to do with the produce business. Getting in on the ground floor in a good concern and making good dough. He kept talking about me around the boss, and one day the boss asked who the devil Jim was. Well, after telling him, the boss said that he sure could use me in the company after I get out of the service. Guess Bob built me up as some sort of super salesman. Anyway, it's a chance at another job. I have one offer from a firm in Los Angeles after the war. I'm making some good connections now that might be handy when I get out. Sure better to walk into a good position without having to scout around and try a lot of them before getting a good one.
Better hang on to those shoes and clothes etc. Things will be hard to get after the war and good stuff more so. Then too, a lot of things you might throw away now may come in handy later on. I will let you go with me when I pick out my civvies. I dont know if I'll be able to get the kind of clothes that I want, but nevertheless, I know what I want, and that's more than a lot of guys. Save your dough. Cripes, I don't know when I'll have to send for you and it will save time if you have enough dough to get places right away without having to wait for me to send the money. I can always repay it when I see you.
Sweet, there are so many things I want to write about..things you mentioned in your letters, but I can't cover them all in one. I will just close this now and go hit the sack. It's nearly 1 a.m. and I'm tuckered out. Tell Milly I'll drop a line soon. I have a lot of work to do and it's hard to write all around all in one day. Be sweet, and think of me once in a while. Love you brat..

Jim

I sent some snaps to Lollars[**] (which store I dunno) and wish you or Milly would drop by and pick them up for me. Send the enlargement of the snow scene home to Mother, and send me the small ones. You may have the negative if you like of the one of me. Make yourself a print. I have promised the others to a couple of shipmates for their album. Thanks. I told Lollars I'd have my sister pick them up for me. They're in my name. By again. Goodnite.

*"Life of Reilly" means an easy and pleasant life. It originated from the Irish/American community in the USA.

**Lollar's was a camera shop in Birmingham with a few locations, but with the main location in the Lyric Building which has been recently restored in downtown Birmingham. Here's the front of one of the locations:

No comments:

Post a Comment