Pages

March 28, 2016

WWII Letters from Jim | 24 July 1945

In this letter, Jim is winning some good money in poker - maybe enough to buy Margaret a wedding ring. He's sending her a Coast Guard magazine, but unfortunately it is not in the envelope. The magazine describes how 75% of the Coast Guard are on the seas and playing its part in the war. He writes that they keep killing sharks with guns and harpoons. But next time they are trying hand grenades. At the end of the letter, Jim is in a non-U.S. port for a bit and received several of Margaret's letters.








24 July, 1945
At sea.

Dearest..
It's been two or three days since I've had an opportunity to sit down and chat a bit. They've been keeping me busy and too, it's been hot as blazes and that whips a fellow down a bit. Tonight after chow we played a bit of poker again. Stopped and went to a movie, then back to the poker game. I've done what I said I'd do. Won enough to pay the $50 I borrowed from the shipmate in Boston, bought me a $7.50 fountain pen, six cartons of cigarettes, and have loaned out $10, leaving me $75 cash on hand. That adds up to a bit over a hundred bux. If I can just hang on to what I have until we hit port, then I'll buy a money order and send it home. Hope you're saving your dough. Did you ever look around and select something in the way of a ring? If you have, let me know what the cost will be. I'll win enough to pay for that too. Things have been just about the same here on board as in my other letters. Yesterday we had swim call but a shark came noseying around the boys and you should have seen them scat for the ship. Looked like an outboard motor the say they churned up the water. The skipper shot at the shark but dont think he hit him, nevertheless, drove him off. We are going to use hand grenades next time. The machine gun bullets wont penetrate very far down in the water and they rickochet off. Later last night they hooked a big one and brought him aboard and cut him up. I didn't even go back to see him. They're getting so common now.
There are a lot of changes being initiated on the ship when we arrive in the next port. Going to strip down some of the armanant I hear. That will suit me fine. I never liked the idea of running around in high rough seas with that much tnt riding with me. They might cut off some men too, but that's wishful thinking. Well, in August and September, the hurricane weather starts out here. We may be in port most of August, but we'll be at sea all of September, and guess we're in for some rough going. I think the old ship will take it though. We're riden out some rough ones before. They're not too pleasant however. I'm sending you a Coast Guard magazine. You may be interested in the news of our Service and the part it is playing in the war. Most people think we stay at home, while 75% of our men are at sea alll the time. The Navy has about 35% at sea all the time. They think we guard the coast. I dont even try to argue with them, but want you to know that we do go to sea, and how! Baby, I've got to run along now as it's well after midnight and got to get some of that beauty sleep. Caulk off as they say in the Navy. So I'll just go flake out in my sack, dream a little dream of you, and until next time, my love,

Jim
(over) 

5 August ------------

Honey, we just tied a line on the dock in this port and although it's not a U.S. port, its still okay -
Received all your letters but haven't had a chance to open them yet. Rushed to death - will do so tonight and answer tomorrow - 

Love, 
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment