Pages

March 28, 2016

WWII Letters from Jim | 20 July 1945

In this letter, Jim describes some of the life on the ship and the meals they have each day. They have inspection the following day and has to shave beforehand. He mentions that he has to shave in civilian life more than on the ship. My how things have changed. Today beards are the norm (which I love). He writes that sailor life would be a good life if he didn't want to come home so bad. He gets very gushy with Margaret towards the end, but the part that makes me tear up the most is when he says, "I've got to get away from this mill and go get that shave, hit the sack before I go up on deck, jump overboard and try to swim to Alabama." I cannot imagine being away from someone that long with only snail mail letters for communication.

Post marked | 6 Aug 1945 by the Navy

At sea,
20 July, 1945

Dearest..
Don't seem to be much news of interest on board this tub today. I did a full day's work, went swimming this afternoon, took a bath and played poker for a little while. Think I'll go to bed now. It's hot and I'm stripped down to a pair of dungaree pants and my bedroom slippers. There's a stiff wind blowing and the ship is rolling, so supposed that will lull me to sleep gently. Tomorrow is inspection day, so guess I will have to shave tonight. I have this shaving down to once every three days now. I used to have to shave every day in civilian life, and baby, I surely got tired of that. I'm taking a vacation now for as soon as I get out this racket, I'll have to do it again. Did'nt kill any sharks today. Guess they got scared of the ship after hitting the jackpot the other night. Wish I could hear from you, but that's impossible out here. In about 17 more days, we should have mail aboard. Sure would be nice if we got mail at sea. Have you been out to the Pickwick[*] again? You know, I had a nice time out there that night. Guess Tom as gone back to the Army by now. I would like to have seen him again before I left. He was a nice fellow. How are the newlyweds getting along? I guess they went ahead and got married as planned. Hope they have a nice happy hereafter of married bliss. I'm anxious to hear how your Miami Beach trip came out. You write me all about it, will ya? Gad, it's hard to try to write a letter when you don't know anything much to write about. If can talk a blue streak, but to sit down and make conversation, I'M not so good. Course it will be easier to write intelligently after hearing from you. We're still having beautiful weather. See lots of Army planes come over every day and night. There must have been 150 over since we got here a week ago. They fly from North Africa to Bermuda and cross over our patrol area. Our chow is still good and we have ice cream every day, chicken twice a week, steak twice a week, ham every Saturday, mixed in with roast beef, stew, fish, pork chops, and turkey, between times. I always look forward to the noon meal on Saturday for we always have boiled potatoes, cabbage, and baked ham. The ham is always delicious, and we put about 10 pounds of the left over ham in the Frigidaire and have ham sandwiches between meals on Sunday. That doggone thing is always full of food anyways, everyday, and we have a Silex coffee maker in the CPO quarters, so you see, we eat and drink coffee anytime of the day or night that we choose. We don't have to turn out the lights up there until we got ready, thereby making it into a real cozy little club room. The head (bathroom to you) is used by only 12 fellows, while the one for the rest of the crew the same size has to accommodate over 100. Never crowded and the showers are usually always on. If it wasn't for the monotony of being at sea and being alone, this life would be all but wonderful. Nevertheless, I don't want any more of it than I have to take. I'll just wait and get ashore whenever I can, and hang up my sailor suit for a suit of gabardines. Looks like I'm running off the paper.

Yep, so I was. Well, sweetheart, I sure would love to cuddle you up close to me tonight and forget there is a war going on -- forget about everything, and just let the rest of the world go by. For the 4 1/2 years that I have been out of circulation, I sure have a lot of love-making to make up for. Think that would be nice? I think I could make it nice if I made love to you. You'd like that.

Hell, I've got to get away from this mill and go get that shave, hit the sack before I go up on deck, jump overboard and try to swim to Alabama.

Goodnight sweet, and pleasant dreams,
Love and kisses form the Old Man,

Jim



*In the letter, Jim mentions the Pickwick. After some digging - I found that the Pickwick was a night club in downtown Birmingham between 1931 and the mid-1950's when it burned down. There is a site with some additional information and pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment