Pages

August 7, 2015

9 July 1945

In this letter, Jim is not too happy with Margaret not writing often and asks why he wrote 5 letters to her one letter. He asks her if she fell in love with one of the pretty Jewish boys on the beach. He states that he'll be at sea for 25 to 30 days and that it's a routine monotonous existence. The exciting news of the day was that they hit a whale on their journey. 



Post marked | 13 July 1945 by the Navy


Serial No. 6
9 July, 1945 At sea.

Hello Shrimp..

Can't understand your not writing. I received one letter to my five. That doesn't seem like a good average. This morning, we slid out of our berth at port and eased out of the harbor. It was a might sad to see the skyline of tall buildings gradually sink out of sight and soon be lost in obscurity. It's nearly ten p.m. now and foggy. The whistle blows once a minute which only reminds me that this is peaceful waters now and we can use a whistle for safety to prevent hitting other ships in the fog. We hit an enormous whale today. Guess he didn't see us coming and we splattered him all over the ship. The usual bustle of last minute preparations for getting underway has subsided, and we will be settled down to a routine monotonous existence again for 25 or 30 days, then maybe some port--if we're lucky. The sea is calm tonight and you can hardly tell we're at sea, but this is only temporary and we might get heavy weather any day now. We are going south, supposedly someplace off the coast of Spain. It really matters very little as water looks the same almost every place. I've picked up a good tan already and as we will be in warmer climate very soon, guess I'll get a bit more before the patrol is over. I'll probably have as much as you when you get back from Miami Beach. I do hope you have been getting my letters. I mailed them all to the hotel. I trust you used the Fleet Post Office address in writing me. That's imperative and necessary. From now on my letters have to be censored. I thought they would discontinue that on this side after the war in Europe was over, but evidently I was mistaken. This letter I will mail to you at home. It may be 30 days before I can mail it and by that time you should be settled down with your new pappy and at the new address. Sure wish this thing would get over with and I could get out of these blues and come back to Birmingham. Perhaps I may be able to do so soon, anyway, I do think I can get a shore job next spring and that will be something to look forward to. It is cool tonight and I will use a blanket to keep warm. Doesn't that sound good? That's one thing about going to sea. You get nice breezes even in the hot summertime. Hope you didn't fall in love with some of the pretty Jewish boys that must have been cluttered all over the beach in Miami. I hoped to get a least one more letter before we sailed, but you can never tell what happened to hold you up, so I wont worry about it. I know that in the flurry and excitement, you probably didn't think about me until after you'd been around awhile, meantime, time and the Navy wait for no woman and they sent me off. Maybe I'll have a few letters awaiting me when I hit the next mail port. Hope so. Sweetheart, would be so nice to have you with me. Wouldn't I be the lucky sailor? Oh, well, I'd have to sleep sometimes and you'd probably keep me awake all night, so I will just have to wait. How about dropping the 'old man' a line and keep em coming, eh? Love you.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment