Pages

September 17, 2017

Bangkok - Day 2 a Thai Cooking Class

I was super excited about this cooking class and it did not disappoint! Brian was still sick (so to find out it was flu) so just Caleb and I took part in the amazing experience. I booked this hotel on TripAdvisor. It was called a Half Day Cooking Class in Bangkok .

The class was at the Bangkok Thai Cooking Academy. We picked 6 different courses from about 30 different offerings. To keep things a little simple, they had each group booking pick the same thing. With Caleb's knowledge of food, I was happy to have him pick the choices.



Inside where we cooked the dishes

We started with sticky rice. It is not actually boiled in water but soaked in water and then cooked in a weaved, V shaped basket that sits on top of boiling water. She allowed that to cook while we prepped most of our ingredients. 

Based on the dishes we picked, the helpers put the prepared ingredients at our stations. We then had to chop all of our ingredients and of course Caleb blew everyone out of the water from his years of practice. I was a little slow. I've never felt like I knew how to cut anything properly. I just try to the best I can. The instructors were so nice and patient. They instructions were good and I did not feel like lack of cooking knowledge hindered the dishes at all.


For each dish the instructor explained to us what the ingredients were and how they worked in the dishes. At one point while making the massaman curry paste, we had to grind the chilies into the paste. She asked if we liked hot food. Caleb likes it but I do not have a tolerance for it. She spooned several spoonfuls of chilies into the grinder and said, "Welcome to Thailand." I could not help but laugh my butt off. It was so funny!

After prepping all the ingredients, she showed up the sticky rice and how sticky it was. She then added coconut milk to it and allowed the rice to soak up the milk while we finished cooking the dishes. We cooked each dish in a wok except for the soup. They all started with a little oil and she walked us up when to add the ingredients and when to change the temperatures. She made it so easy for us that I could replicate at home.


After each dish we plated them and put them on the table. 




Here are all the dishes we made and I can't wait to get the recipes up and to try them. 

Massaman Curry Paste used in Massman Curry with Chicken

This was amazing and one of my favorite things. 



Hot & Sour Prawn Soup

This was a tab bit too spicy for me. I had one bite which was tasty but so spicy. Caleb of course loved it. 


Pad Thai Goong Sod

This was good and we realized what we had for lunch was not good Pad Thai. I enjoy Pad Thai except for the bean sprouts. 


Stir-fried Chicken with Hot Basil

I really really enjoyed this! When cooking it, I was not quite sure about the baby corn and onions. But man this was delicious and I cleaned my plate. 


Coconut Sticky Rice with Mango

This was unbelievably amazing! Sweet rice sounded weird because of my mind rice should be salty but this was so good. And the mango so fresh and sweet. It was the perfect ending to the meal. 


This was our instructor. She was amazing and so sweet! Thumbs up for a great time and yummy meal! 



Thai Massage

That night Caleb was able to book us a traditional Thai massage at the Hive Spa. It was a one hour full body massage that was amazing! So amazing, in fact, that I fell asleep three times and started snoring. That poor masseuse. 

via the Tahithi blog

No comments:

Post a Comment